Menu

Meilleures ligues

Meilleures équipes

Toutes les ligues

Autre
Sunday, 24 May 2026
6 min de lecture

United Lead Race for Leao as West Ham Relegation Triggers Bowen Talk

Manchester United are reportedly monitoring Rafael Leao and Jarrod Bowen as part of a summer rebuild, while Chelsea and Juventus move for defensive reinforcements.

The summer transfer window is already casting a long shadow over the final weeks of the season, with Manchester United appearing to be the most active player in the early market skirmishes. Reports from Italy suggest that AC Milan are prepared to facilitate a move for their talismanic winger Rafael Leao for a surprisingly low fee of £43m. For a player of Leao’s profile, a 26-year-old Portugal international with a proven track record in Serie A, such a price tag represents a significant market adjustment. United are said to be the frontrunners for his signature as they look to inject more dynamism into an attack that has often looked stagnant this campaign.

The pursuit of Leao fits into a broader strategy at Old Trafford that prioritizes elite ball-carrying ability and goal-scoring threat from wide areas. With questions continuing to swirl over the long-term futures of several current United attackers, securing a player of Leao's calibre at a cut-price fee would be a major coup for the new recruitment team. However, the Portuguese star is not the only name on the shortlist. United are also keeping a very close eye on domestic developments, specifically the precarious situation at the London Stadium, where a certain West Ham forward could soon become available.

United Lead Race for Leao as West Ham Relegation Triggers Bowen Talk
The latest transfer reports featured on the Sunday Express sports front page. Photo: BBC Sport

The Jarrod Bowen Contingency

Should West Ham United fail to maintain their Premier League status on the final day, the vultures will inevitably begin to circle. Chief among them is Manchester United, who are reportedly exploring a deal for Hammers captain Jarrod Bowen. The 29-year-old has been a model of consistency in East London, proving his worth as a versatile and clinical forward. For United, Bowen represents a lower-risk option compared to some of their more expensive imports, offering a wealth of Premier League experience and a work rate that would suit several tactical systems. His ability to play across the front line makes him a valuable asset for any club looking to bolster their attacking depth.

The potential relegation of the Hammers would likely force their hand in terms of player sales, and Bowen would be the most valuable chip on the table. While the player has shown immense loyalty to West Ham, the opportunity to join a club with Champions League aspirations would be difficult to turn down at this stage of his career. United’s interest is said to be contingent on the final table standings, but the groundwork is already being laid for a possible move. It would be a deal that benefits all parties in a difficult financial climate, providing West Ham with much-needed capital while giving United a proven goalscorer.

Chelsea’s Blueco Pipeline and Youth Strategy

Across London, Chelsea are continuing their aggressive pursuit of young talent, leveraging their multi-club ownership model to secure promising stars. The latest addition to the Blues’ ranks appears to be Valentin Barco, the 21-year-old Argentine left wing-back who has been developing at sister club Strasbourg. Having previously caught the eye at Brighton, Barco is seen as a player who can provide competition and long-term depth on the left flank. The agreement reflects Chelsea's ongoing commitment to a recruitment policy that prioritizes high-potential youngsters who can be integrated into the first team over several years.

In a separate and perhaps more nostalgic move, the club is also looking to bring back a familiar face in a new capacity. Chelsea are keen for Thiago Silva to return as a coach following his stint with Porto. The 41-year-old Brazilian is widely regarded as one of the most intelligent defenders of his generation, and his leadership would be invaluable to a young and often inexperienced Chelsea backline. However, they face stiff competition from AC Milan, who are reportedly offering Silva a one-year playing contract. The veteran defender must now decide whether he is ready to hang up his boots or if he has one more season left in the tank at the highest level of European football.

United Lead Race for Leao as West Ham Relegation Triggers Bowen Talk
The back page of the Sunday People details the latest movement in the transfer market. Photo: BBC Sport

Continental Shifts and Defensive Reinforcements

In Italy, a major goalkeeping storyline is developing as Alisson Becker reportedly prepares for a potential move to Juventus. The 33-year-old Brazilian is said to be open to a reunion with Luciano Spalletti, his former coach at Roma. Interestingly, reports suggest Alisson is willing to make the move even if the Turin giants fail to secure Champions League football for next season. Such a move would signal the end of a legendary era at Liverpool, where Alisson has been a cornerstone of their success under Jurgen Klopp. For Juventus, acquiring a goalkeeper of his stature would be a massive statement of intent as they look to rebuild their own domestic dominance.

Meanwhile, Barcelona are scouring the market for defensive reinforcements and have turned their attention to former Arsenal centre-back Jakub Kiwior. Currently at Porto, the 26-year-old Poland international has impressed with his technical ability and composure on the ball. The La Liga champions are looking for a left-footed defender who can fit into their possession-based system, and Kiwior fits the profile perfectly. After a somewhat difficult spell in the Premier League, Kiwior has rebuilt his reputation in Portugal and now seems destined for another shot at one of Europe's true heavyweights.

Premier League Scavenging and Future Stars

The scouting departments of Brighton and Crystal Palace are also working overtime, with both clubs reportedly keen on Bayern Munich youngster Arijon Ibrahimovic. The 20-year-old German midfielder has enjoyed a productive loan spell at Heidenheim, showcasing the kind of creativity and vision that the Premier League's mid-table innovators crave. Bayern are known for their willingness to sell young prospects if the price is right, and a move to the English top flight would provide Ibrahimovic with the perfect platform to continue his development. Both Brighton and Palace have excellent track records for nurturing young talent, making this a race to watch in the coming weeks.

In the North East, Newcastle United are taking a firm stance on the future of William Osula. Despite interest from Aston Villa, Eddie Howe is reportedly insistent that the 22-year-old Danish striker is not for sale. Osula has fought his way into the Newcastle starting line-up through sheer persistence and clinical finishing, and he is viewed as a vital part of the club’s long-term project. Finally, the transfer gossip takes a bizarre turn toward Turkey, where Fenerbahce presidential candidate Hakan Safi has expressed a desire to sign Mason Greenwood as part of a transformative package for the club. The Marseille striker remains a controversial figure, but his goal-scoring record continues to attract interest from across the continent. Check back for more football news on MATCHLINE as the window approaches.

How do you feel about this story?

Comments coming soon — be the first to join the conversation.

En direct sur MATCHLINE

Suivez chaque but en temps réel

Suivre les scores en direct

Articles connexes